Monday, March 3, 2014

Back to work....

Ok after this post I'll be more fun... these last couple of posts have been more just my thoughts and story... but I promise the next one I'll talk about useful planning tips, and perhaps I'll feature a Crock Pot recipe! :) 

I've been back to work now for about three weeks. It's been a hard adjustment.

I have been on maternity leave since mid-November and working part-time since January. In this time I have been a little spoiled by making my own schedule- grocery shopping in the middle of the day, sleeping in a little bit a few days a week, and not having to be too strict on my own bed time.  It's been an adjustment becoming a mom but it's also allowed me to refocus my energy and get out of the hustle and bustle of my work life.

However that being said, I like being at work and the projects I am working on.  It's a challenge, it's rewarding to create presentations and deals, and to just be successful at work.  Being around co-workers and other adults is also really nice- just the contact with other people is something I missed on the days I was at home alone while my husband worked. (I'm definitely a people person- and go a little crazy when I spend too much time cooped up at home).  And of course its nice to hear that I was missed at the office while on maternity leave.

But I miss my little man and I miss my time at home.

I know some people have told me "You will be so ready to go back to work and get out of the house"- I am not one of those people.  I didn't mind staying at home- I found plenty to do and found it rewarding to be a homemaker and take care of my family.

Now I find that I am trying to do both and it is challenging; I see that it can be done, I guess the real question is do I want to do it.

I have the utmost respect for stay at home mom's- it really was a challenge some days trying to get it all done especially if my little guy was particularly fussy.  But I also have a lot of respect for women who go back to work- it's hard!  I want to be both places at once but unfortunately I do not have the Harry Potter Time Turner- so I'm stuck trying to balance it all in 24 hours day.


What I am finding is- I want to stay in touch, go out and spend time with my friends but when I am working 5 days a week until 4-5pm- I don't really feel like going out afterwards- I've got to spend that evening getting ready for the next work day.  And my weekends are my time with my little guy, I'm not really willing to give that up and get a babysitter- I know I can bring him along to some places but sometimes I feel it's just easier to stay home. I see now why some people loose touch after having a baby- but I am going to try my hardest to not have that happen to me.

I'm hoping that my family and I get into more of a routine, and I hope my little man doesn't miss me too much (though I'm sure I miss him more than he misses me)- I know he is well cared for with family helping out and so far just daycare once a week.

I guess what it boils down to is I just want to make sure that he sees and spends the most time with me.  As his mom I should be the biggest influence and presence in his life and I don't want to loose that by working full time.

We will see how this all shakes out- I'm a pretty stubborn person and I don't give up on anything too easily so I know somehow we will manage and will create a system that works for our family. We are only three weeks in... we just need to keep moving forward and taking it day by day (but still plan for dinners a week at a time :)

J.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment